Thursday, January 17, 2008

Baby Bub's Birth Story: Part 1

Here's the scoop on Baby Bub's arrival. So sorry this is 2 weeks after the fact!!

Wednesday 1/2/08: I went to the doc for a routine Non-Stress Test. I was notified that it detected some contracting and I was monitored all day long. I was 1 cm dilated (which is "no big deal"). I was also given a preventative shot of Terbutaline with a prescription and sent home.

Friday 1/4/08: Went in for my follow up doc appointment and was still 1 cm dilated (and still was "no big deal"). I was sent home with these words from my doctor "I just wanted to check you out before the weekend. Things look fine and I'll see you next Wednesday". HA!
Saturday 1/5/08 6:00am: I wake up to Bean shouting "Mom, Mom, Mom". I roll over and ask Hubs if he would mind getting up with Bean today, I tell him I'm really tired and just want to snooze a bit more. Being the sweet man that he is, he says "No problem!" and hops out of bed to take care of Bean.

8:00am- I wake up because I am so uncomfortable. My hips hurt, my back hurts and I am just plain tired of laying down. I stumble downstairs to find Bean & Hubs. They are playing oh-so-nicely together. We sit around and watch Bean play for a bit and I even commented to Hubs "This will be such a nice weekend just the 3 of us." (We have had company or been gone for the last umpteen million weekends!).

9:00am- The Bean is ready for a nap and I gladly put him down in his bed and immediately go crawl back into mine. I even asked Hubs to join me for a quick morning nap, but he declined this offer (which he will later regret).

10:15am- Bean wakes up and I go get him. We head down to the basement to play with Da Da. All 3 of us sit around my computer and watch Bean play the alphabet game and watch "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" on UTube. I start to feel a little bit crampy around 10:45ish and pass Bean off to Hubs. We all head upstairs to play.

11:28am- I sit down to eat a bowl of Kix cereal (you know you have a toddler when...) and tell Hubs I think I'm having a contraction. I specifically asked him the time to the minute just so I can monitor any future contractions.

The monitoring begins and the contractions start coming every 5 minutes or so. They started off lasting only 10 seconds but rapidly they increased to lasting 30-45 seconds. I send Hubs & Bean off to Wal-Greens to fill my prescription for Terbutaline and I call the doctor that is on-call for my doc's office. He tells me to take the meds and wait an hour and if I'm still contracting to go to the ER.

12:10pm- Hubs returns with the meds and I take one. After 30 minutes nothing is changing (oh wait, I mean for the better...my contractions were getting stronger and closer together!). I called my mom and told her to get on the road. We sent Bean over to a neighbors, threw together a hospital bag (not THE hospital bag, mind you...we were under the impression things would be stopped and I was 100% convinced I would not be giving birth on this trip to the hospital).

1:00pm-We were admitted to Labor & Delivery. The nurses started giving me shots of Terbutaline every hour. They did this 4 times. This medicine did help slow the contractions and decreased their intensity. But they did not stop.

4:00pm- The nurses/doctor gave up on the Terbutaline and decided to start an IV of Magnesium Sulfate. My dosage started at 50 (not sure of what unit of measurement???). This did not make things better. I could feel the contractions more and they were definitely becoming more intense. I was "checked" and was 3cm dilated.

7:00pm- The dose on my drip was upped to 65. Still contracting...still getting more intense. I was told that we would have to stay in the hospital at least for the next 24 hours and maybe longer depending on how they could control the contractions. Their goal was to get me under 4 contractions in an hour.

11:oopm- I am still contracting...I am now dilated to 4cm and the doctor decided he needs to come in and see me.

1/6/08 12:00am- The doctor comes in and I am still 4cm. The decision is made to transfer us to a hospital that is about an hour away. The other hospital has a Level 3 NICU (the local hospital is only a Level 2). They decide to transfer me "in case" I deliver. I wasn't quite 34 weeks pregnant and it is pretty much standard policy to transfer anyone under the 34 week mark (I was 24 hours shy of it!!!!).

1:00-2:00am- I am in an ambulance for an hour. Bumping along and contracting the whole way. My Labor & Deliver nurse rode with me while Hubs followed in our car. While we are on our way my cell phone rings and it is another nurse from the local hospital...WE LEFT OUR CAMERA THERE!!!! My heart breaks and I tell her to call Hubs. Hubs makes a quick phone call and our dear DEAR friends get up in the middle of the night, drive over an hour to meet us at the new hospital and bring us their camera. I told Hubs at this point that we needed to have a camera there ASAP, I was convinced our son was arriving sooner than later and I did not want Hubs to turn around.

2:00am- We arrive at the new hospital and are admitted.

1 comment:

Sincerely Anna said...

Wow! That's all I can say, is Wow! You were right about your husband regretting that morning nap! Can't wait to read Part 2!