Tuesday, November 13, 2007

WFMW: Tub Paint Recipe

Thanks to my dear friend Brooke (also the master-maker of the diaper cake!) I now have an awesome "recipe" for bathtub paint! It is super simple to make, although a few of the ingredients may not be in your cupboard and require a special trip to the store. Bean (1 year) had a FANTASTIC time painting in the tub. Plus, with Christmas right around the corner, it makes a great gift (ahem, Learning Patience, no need to make this...it's "taken care of"!) Happy Tub Painting!!!


Bathtub Finger Paint


1 envelope unflavored instant gelatin
1/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 Tbsp sugar
1 3/4 cups cold water
1/4 mild liquid dishwashing soap (I used clear)
food coloring


Dissolve one envelope of unflavored instant gelatin in 1/4 cup hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes. Combine 1/2 cup cornstarch, 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 3/4 cups cold water in a saucepan, and stir until cloudy and smooth. Cook the cornstarch mixture over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until thick. Reduce heat, add the gelatin mixture and 1/4 cup mild, liquid dishwashing soap, and stir until smooth. Let cool. Divide into smaller, airtight containers and add 1 drop of food coloring to each. Stir and head to the tub!

My Tips:
*The gelatin mixture will get goopy, it's okay, just scrape it out of the bowl
*I used a wire whisk for all of the mixing involved...worked better than a spoon!
*Baby food jars work great for storage
*We used a silicone pastry brush in the tub. It is easy to clean out after the bath is over, plus it doesn't hold moisture-no mildew!
*Bean did a taste test and survived...so I'm guessing it won't really do any damage if consumed in small quantities!
*It washes off tub walls BEAUTIFULLY! I even tested it and left it on overnight....washed right off! I have not tried it on tile...not sure how it will do on grout.


Ooops! I almost forgot...head over to Rocks In My Dryer for some more awesome tips!!

3 comments:

Arizona Mama said...

Cool! Thanks!

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

My boys would love this.

jen said...

That's a great tip . . . and I'm thrilled that it's, um, "taken care of!" ;)