Sunday, September 9, 2007

Church Struggles...

Soo here's the scoop. Our church has 2 services: 9am & 10:45. Here's the problem: Bean naps from 9-11:30 EVERY DAY! So we are faced with a dilemma weekly of how to make this work. Most weeks we skip out on church (yes, I know this is not good) and let Bean sleep. This makes our entire day much more pleasant and enjoyable for our family.

Today Bean sleeps in until 7:15 (typically he is up around 6am). With him sleeping in so late, he technically shouldn't go down for his nap until 10ish. This means we can make 9:00 church! YAY! Hubs and I take turns showering, feed Bean breakfast and are out the door by 8:40. We get him checked into the child care (Hubs has to drop him off to prevent the MEGA meltdown that comes with leaving mom). We made it through most of the church service and then our number came up. No big deal. I really don't mind being paged. We try to emphasize when we drop him off that WE DO NOT MIND. I would rather pick up a semi-fussy child 20 minutes into the service than get what I got today....which was a sobbing, hyperventilating, blotchy faced little boy who needed 10 minutes of Mommy time before he would even start to think about calming down...ugh. The lady says to me as I break myself in half to get through the window to grab my son, "We really didn't want to page you. I was hoping we could make it through the entire service". WHAT!!?!?!??! Oh I was not happy. But I got over it, calmed my baby down and we headed back for the last few minutes of the service.

One would hope this is the end of our church fiasco, but oh no, it is not...

We get home at 10:40 and assume that Bean drifting to sleep on the way home from church means that he is ready for a nap. We could not have been more wrong. I spent 30 minutes battling him. I would put him down, he would stand up, throw his pacies and SCREAM. We did this a few times, then I tried giving him a bottle (maybe he's hungry??). Well he guzzled the whole bottle and then continued to fight me. So I gave in and decided to forget about his morning nap. Grrrr.... After lunch and playing and playing and playing (and watching a Baby Einstein DVD) I decided to try the nap thing again...we only battled 2 rounds this time and eventually I won! He slept for an hour! ONLY 1 HOUR! After that I gave up. Hubs and I put on a dog and pony show for the rest of the evening and managed to maintain some level of sanity until 7pm when Bean was so sleepy he could no longer walk without tripping over his own feet. He did go down pretty quickly at 7, but has fussed a few times already.

I have decided that we may be taking a break from church for awhile. This was a long, hard, day. I would rather spend my Sunday praising the Lord in my own home with a happy baby and a happy husband (and a happy momma!).

1 comment:

lance said...

We have had the same struggle, and I'll admit there have been plenty of times that we've chosen to stay home. Just remember, the LORD wants all 4 of you to be fed spiritually. If you had 1 kid in Sunday School, I imagine that you would be more willing to sacrifice the Sunday morning nap of the smallest bean to accommodate the spiritual needs of the oldest. It's my hope for you that you will be willing to make that same sacrifice now for your own spiritual growth. How refreshing it is to commune with the rest of the body on the Sabbath!

Great call on the bum pumpkins...we are totally going to do that. I can't believe Jr's walking already. We can't waite for you to get to meet Baby Josh. We will be in Illini country in two weeks, hopefully we can hook up. I'll send you an email.